Procedures & VISA

Schedule For Entering Japanese language school

 Courses:  Starting  Application submission
1 year  April  by October
1 year 3 months  January  by August
1 year 6 months  October  by April
1 year 9 months  July  by February
2 years  April  by October

*It is recommended to start your preparation 6 ~ 9 months before the course begins.

Short Courses (one – three months)
You can apply and enter any time. The visa procedure will take approximately one month.

Enrolling a School Using Our Service

Be sure you are a Hiragana Times subscriber to get Celebratory Enrollment Bonus.

  1. First, fill in the Japanese language school selection request form and send it to us,
  2. By mail we will advise you some suitable schools, according to your request.
  3. You get the information of the schools, and select one you think the best and inform us. If you can not find your desired school in the school list, please let us know, we will search other good schools for you. If it is difficult to decide which school is best, we will select the best one for you.
  4. After your selection is made, we will introduce you to the school and you will receive application form and other necessary information from the school.
  5. When all the school procedures are completed, you will be listed in our bonus recipient list (Applicable for those who enroll one year course and longer, and the instruction for the use of our special services will be provided to you.


Immigration Procedures

  1.  What you are required to provide
    1) The admission approval from the Japanese educational institutions you have been accepted into.
    2) A valid passport
    3) Visa from Japanese Embassy or Consulate from your home country.
  2. Applicable status of residence
    As college student and the term of residence
    1 year and 3 months
    1 year or 6 months
    2 years

Applying for visas

Visas can be applied for through either one of the procedures outlined below.

  1. When there is no “certificate of eligibility for a status of residence” issued. Visa application is personally submitted by students intending to study in Japan at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their home country. The time required to process this visa application will take longer as the application documents will have to be sent back and forth between the student’s home country and Japan.
  2. When there is a “certificate of eligibility for a status of residence” issued. Before applying for a visa, students intending to study in Japan or their proxies will apply for the “certificate of eligibility for a status of residence” and have it issued to them at Regional Immigration Bureaus in Japan. With this “certificate of eligibility” in hand, students will then personally apply for visas at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their home country. Unlike visa application without the “certificate of eligibility for a state of residence.” this alternative has a shorter processing time.

Guarantor for immigration procedures
The regulation requiring applicants to have a guarantor for entry into Japan or for careening of status of residence was abolished in 1996. Nevertheless, if the applicant is unable to finance his/her expenses in Japan, a guarantor providing means to support the applicant is required.

Other Visa Procedures

  1. Permission for engaging in activities outside the status of residence scope
    The “College Student” status of residence is granted for the sole purpose of studying in Japan and as such does not permit work. When planning to work part-time, a written consent from the current school must be obtained before applying for “Permission to Engage in Activities other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” at the nearest Regional Immigration Bureau. Foreigners who have graduated from universities, junior colleges, graduate schools and professional training colleges who are holding a “Designated Activities Visa “ status of residence for the purpose of employment seeking activities, can now apply for permission to engage in activities outside of the visa scope.
  2. Procedures for Temporary exit from Japan
    Foreigners in Japan planning to return to their home countries or visit other countries for a short period during their term of residence must apply for a re-entry permit at a Regional Immigration Bureau before leaving Japan. Pay attention to this requirement because failure to do so will necessitate you to apply for another visa at an overseas Japanese Embassy or Consulate.
  3. Extending term of residence
    Term of residence must be extended at a Regional Immigration Bureau when planning to stay in Japan longer than the term of residence. Initially it is applied for during the entry into Japan (Usually, applications are received 2 months before its expiration). Illegally remaining in Japan will result in punishment and deportation.
  4. Changing status of residence 
    Status of residence must be changed to a different type when activities Initially applied for are discontinued to engage in other activities. The Application must be filed at a Regional Immigration Bureau.
  5. Revocation of the status of residence
    Policy on revocation of status of residence was established on December 2, 2004. Under this policy, status of residence can be revoked in cases where activities engaged in were falsely declared and/or submission of false personal history documents.
  6. Bringing dependents to Japan
    Spouses and children of “College Student” holders can reside in Japan under the “Dependent” status of residence for a term of 2 years and 3 months, 2 years, 1 year and 3 months, 1 year or 6 months according to the holder’s term of residence. It is recommended that international students bring their dependents once they are familiar with life in Japan and are economically stable.

Non-Japanese Registration

Foreigners who plan to stay in Japan for more than 90 days are required to apply for the Non-Japanese Registration Card within 90 days from the date of entry in Japan, at the city/ward office in the area they are residing in.

Registration procedures
Applications must be personally made at the ward/municipal office of their respective areas by filling in the Non-Japanese Registration application form and attaching 2 copies of photographs.

Duty to carry the Non-Japanese Registration Card at all times and Duty to return it upon permanent exit from Japan.
The Non-Japanese Registration Card has to be collected within the specified time as notified during the application. It is important that this Card is carried at all times and presented to authorized officials such as immigration officials or police officers when requested. Except when re-entry into Japan has been approved, it must be surrendered to the immigration officer at your point of exit from Japan.

Medical Insurance

Foreigners who will be staying in Japan for a period of more than 1 year have to subscribe to “National Health Insurance”. Please register for National Health Insurance at your nearest local city/ward office and pay the insurance premium.

The insurance premium has to be paid monthly once registration is completed. The premium varies according to local councils and one’s income. However, most of the time, the premium is about JPY 20,000 per year.

Once registered with National Health Insurance, you will only need to pay 30% of the total medical bill. When receiving treatment for injuries or illness, you have to present your insurance card to be eligible for the discounted payment. Take note that the medical cost for treatments not covered by the insurance scheme has to be paid in full at your own expense.

How to open your bank account

In order to open your account, you are required to provide some information of your own. This is to protect them and to comply with a variety of regulations. You will need to
provide simple details like your name and birthday as well as your identification numbers. You should be prepared to provide a valid government ID.

Are You Ready To School Selection?